First up, I am really gutted that Leeds Rhinos season is over now, not much i can say about it just hope next season is better. UPDATE: It was.
Following last months post about my top 5 Sci-fi Books, I thought I would follow it up with another Top 5 this month. So this month is my favorite TV shows past and present.
But before the main list, another list of shows that just missed out on that most important of accolades, my personal top 5.
- Fringe – A super cool Sci-fi mystery program, the reason it missed out was because there is so far only two seasons. If it keep up the standard in the next few season I could see it sneak in to the top 5.
- Blackadder – Amazingly funny, well written and witty.
- Firefly – Another one that came close, if there was just a few more season of it I’m sure it would have made it in. DAM YOU FOX.
- X-files (seasons 1-5)- Yes another Sci-fi, the reason it’s season 1 to 5 is because I have yet to watch 6 to 9, but i have them on DVD so i will be watching them. A really good program, very solid and similar to Fringe.
- Rome – Not normally in to the historical drama’s, the HBO style it makes very enjoyable, sexy and violent.
- Family guy – Do i need to say anything?
- Heroes – The first season was amazing, it failed to deliver after that.
- Chuck – Comedy spy program, would recommend to anyone. Easy watching.
- House – Love Hugh Laurie he really makes this show tick with his fantastic character. Every episode is very enjoyable.
- True Blood – Not in to the whole twilight and vampire thing, this show while very graphic is a great drama, another HBO hit.
- Lie to me – Like House another show that has a British lead and a super character that makes the show.
I think that is everything but I am sure I have missed something out I have watched so many TV shows.
Right on to the list.
5) – Lost
Was really not sure whether to put lost in my top 5. After the ending which I don’t want to spoil for anybody, I really wanted to forget I ever watched lost. Was it that bad, yes, it was not awful by any means. Just poorly done, it was so predictable. Everybody said it would be something to do with the afterlife (sorry for the spoiler). I bet that after the first season when everybody said it was to do with the afterlife the producers shat themselves, so they say it’s not to do with that and it’s all hunky dory. They should have just kept there mouth shuts. But in fairness to Lost you can’t just judge the whole series on the ending and it was a great program, sure they made the series a little slow paced in season 2 and 3. The show had great mystery, writing, pace (after 2 and 3) and acting. That first season still rates with me as perhaps the greatest first season of any show, i suppose it could only go down from there.
4) – 24
Not a super smart spy but fucking cool. Jack Bauer maybe the toughest, bad ass TV character of all time. The show builds tension like no other. Some shows might never let the hero lose, but 24 never lets the hero win sure he saves the day… some times (Lot of people will die on the way good and bad) but his life is never better for it. He normally has to go in to hiding at the end of every day because he beat the crap out of some witness or politician OR maybe he has to do some bad things to save his family.
One of the unique things about 24 is that it’s in real time 24 episodes, an hour each, all set in the same day. It’s a very clever idea. My life got a lot less tense when they stopped making 24.
3) – Life on Mars
The only English entry in to the top 5. Unlike 24 this is a very smart show. The story like Lost introduced a mystery and the ending was very similar but it was done right (Not just given 5 min at the end of 6 seasons :@). While I was not alive in the 1970’s everybody I have spoken to that was alive during that period, does compliment how accurate it is, while sometime exaggerated. Lots of people credit the show success to Gene Hunt but i think the character of Sam Tyler is more interesting . A very enjoyable show that has given us some amazing quotes, some that I use more than I should.
2) – Farscape
The most obscure show on my list. Anyone that has watched Farscape, will know that there is no other show like it. The show takes a present day human and puts him through a wormhole that takes him across to the other side of the universe where strange looking aliens live and human like aliens but they are cold blooded. You really have to watch the show to get it. It also has a great use of puppets which you expect with it being made the Jim Henson company (Muppet’s fame). A must watch for all Sci-fi fans, and even if your not a Sci-Fi I would still recommend it.
and at number 1 is ………………
1) – The Stargates
I have a feeling that to my friends this is not going to be a huge surprise.
I really had to put all three stargate show in to one spot, it would not be fair on the other shows to have the top 3 spots taken up before they even started. It is a show i have watched since i was 7. The first show stargate SG1 took place after that blockbuster movie of the same name staring Kurt Russel. I am not going to go and on (Do i here cheers?) because being honest i’m a heavily biased stargate fan boy, that thinks the show can do no wrong, well it can’t. It really does have a mix of everything comedy (less so in new Stargate universe), action and hard science (more so in stargate Universe). While i am sure not everybody will like it as much as me, I am confident that if you try it you will enjoy it….. honestly.
Be sure to watch the second season of Stargate universe on SKY 1 on Tuesday Oct 5th at 8pm. You can watch the trailer for the second season in my last post.
Now a little quick life update
Looks like I am getting a cold again, most likely from being out in the cold for the Leeds match yesterday. Not been up to loads lately, anybody got any ideas for something to do? I am up for anything. Job Hunt is on going but no luck so far and again I am up for anything.